Wednesday, August 17, 2011

Top Chef

Blueberry bushes are in abundance in Michigan, so every summer we take the kids and go blueberry picking. I usually come home with something crazy, like 10 pounds of blueberries. A couple years ago I found a recipe on the internet for blueberry scones and figured this was a perfect way to use my blueberries. This is a labor intense recipe, but the final result is amazing. I wish I could give credit to whomever put this recipe out there, if it is you....thank you and yummmm!!Blueberry Scones
2 sticks of frozen butter
1 1/2 c blueberries
1/2 c milk
1/2 c sour cream
2 c flour
1/2 c sugar
2 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
1 tsp lemon zest

Adjust oven rack to middle and preheat oven to 425. Remove wrapper from butter and grate 1 full stick and half of the second. Place grated butter in freezer. Melt 2 T of the leftover butter and set aside. Wash blueberries and place in freezer.

Whisk milk and sour cream, refrigerate until needed. Mix four, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, salt and zest. Add frozen butter to flour mixture, and toss with fingers until well coated.

Add milk to flour and fold with a spatula. Transfer to flour coated work surface. Knead dough 6-8 times until is holds together. Roll dough into a 12 inch square, fold the square into thirds, (business envelope size). Lift short ends of dough and fold into thirds again to form a 4 inch square. Transfer to plate and freeze for 5 minutes. Transfer back to work surface and roll into 12 inch square again. Sprinkle blueberries over dough then press down so they are slightly embedded. Roll dough pressing to form a tight log. Lay seam side down and press into a 12 x 4 rectangle. Using a sharp knife cut rectangle crosswise into 4 equal rectangles. Cut each rectangle diagonally to form 2 triangles. Transfer to parchment lined baking sheet.

Brush tops with melted butter and sprinkle sugar on top. Bake for 18-20 minutes.

I told you this was long, but so worth the effort. This is the perfect breakfast treat. I like to warm my scone in the oven and let the butter just melt. I made these for my neighbor last summer when her mother was in town visiting, and now every time she is in town she always talks about my scones....I think that is a subtle hint she wants more!!

9 comments:

  1. these look so delicious! I am a new follower!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm dying. These look delicioussss! New follower. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. These scones look DELICIOUS! WOW.....I love scones and have never made them before now that I think of it! I hope mind will turn out as appealing as yours! As for the 'schoolbags' below...I hope your mom gets you one of them..I am loving the first Gucci, but I could be biased since I own 5 bags from them...LOL! So glad to have discovered your blog :D

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm drooling!! I love scones. These sound so yummy! I make chocolate chip ones in the fall. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. those look heavenly! can you just send me some? :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Have to try this recipe asap!They look divine!
    ~Anne

    ReplyDelete
  7. this look sooo good! Who doesn't love scones?!?

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love blueberry ANYTHING! This looks delish- and how fun to go blueberry picking- love that! xo Lisa

    ReplyDelete
  9. I have never made a scone before, shocker I know! Yours look amazing, can't wait to try your recipe!

    ReplyDelete