Wednesday, August 10, 2011

Top Chef

Every summer during "family week" at the cottage in Holland, we like to come up with a theme. This year's theme was Top Chef. We divided up the nights and each couple took a night cooking for everyone, we had a caterer come and prepare dinner one night, one of the nights we went out to dinner, and finally we had an appetizer cook off. I wanted something that was delicious and filling, but I also didn't want to spend the entire day running to the store and preparing an elaborate dish. I mean, I was on vacation after all. I decided to make a tried and true appetizer in our house. This is so easy, and so light and refreshing, the prefect appetizer for a warm summer night. This one is comes from my girl Giada.


Pea Pesto Crostini

1 10oz package frozen peas, defrosted
1 clove garlic
1/2 c parmesan cheese
1 t kosher salt, plus extra for taste
1/4 t fresh ground pepper
1/3 c olive oil

For the crostini
day old baguette
1/3c olive oil
cherry tomatoes, halved

For the pesto. Pulse the peas, garlic, parmesan, 1 t of salt and 1/4t of pepper in food processor. Slowly drizzle in the olive oil. Season with additional salt and pepper.

For the crostini. Slice the bread into 1/2 inch thickness, lay on a cookie sheet and brush with olive oil. Broil the bread for about 2 minutes. Flip the bread and repeat the process on new side. When bread has cooled, spoon pea pesto on a slice and top with a tomato slice. Enjoy!!

5 comments:

  1. I have been dying to try this recipe. I have heard it is amaze. My family has cook offs on our beach trip too. We each get a night to prepare a dinner and a signature drink. It is so fun!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This sounds so yummy, Jill! I'm bookmarking this recipe to try before summer ends! xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. We do the same thing and I go way overboard and decorate too- I like to do Mexican dishes and play la bamba and bring sombreros for everyone hahaha. great recipe thanks for sharing :) xoxo Lisa

    ReplyDelete
  4. That sounds like so much fun and such a good idea!! Recipe sounds delicous and something even I could do : ) Xx. Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete