Tuesday, November 23, 2010

The Pie That'll Make You Cry!

Ohh, I already like the sound of that!! This year for Thanksgiving we are going to my older sister's home for dinner. This year I am in charge of desserts. I like to go the traditional route, pumpkin and pecan pies. I found this pecan pie recipe here.

Oh my, I just gained 10 pounds blogging about this!


As promised, here are the recipes from my class on Sunday. Happy Baking


Pumpkin Whoopie Pies
3 c flour
1 tsp salt
1tsp baking powder
1 tsp baking salt
2T ground cinnamon
1T ginger
1T ground cloves
2 c brown sugar
1 c oil
3 c pumpkin, chilled
2 eggs
1 tsp vanilla
preheat oven to 350, line 2 cookie sheets with parchment paper.
In a bowl whisk flour, salt, baking powder, baking salt, cinnamon, ginger,and cloves. Set aside. In another bowl mix sugar and oil until blended. Add pumpkin, eggs and vanilla. Slowly add the flour mixture with the pumpkin mixture.
Using a small ice cream scoop, drop dough on cookie sheet and bake about 15 minutes.

For the filling:
3 c powder sugar
1 stick of butter, room temp
8 oz cream cheese
1 tsp vanilla.
Cream all the ingredients together until smooth.

Once the cookies have cooled spread icing on cookie and make a "sandwich".



Chocolate Whoopie Pie
2 c flour
1 c coco powder
1 tsp salt
1/2 stick of butter, melted
1 c sugar
1 egg yolk
1/2 c hot water
1 tsp baking soda
1/2 c buttermilk
1 tsp vanilla

combine all ingredients until smooth, using a small ice cream scoop portion dough on a lined cookie sheet. Bake at 350 for about 15 minutes

Use the same filling recipe as above but we experimented with the filling. Here were some of the things that we added to the filling for a different taste

1c peanut butter. (loved this, it tasted like a reese pieces)
1/2 c raspberry jam
1 T peppermint extract and 1/2 c crushed peppermint candies
1/2 c espresso

you can really add anything to the cream. The measurements for the add ons to the filling are not exact. You can add them to taste. These were the 4 we made in class and they were all so yummy with the chocolate cookie.

Enjoy

6 comments:

  1. They sound delicious! Thanks for sharing! How are you liking your hair? I am so curious about that and have wanted to try it but like you I know nothing about it! Going today to get my roots done- Can't wait!

    ReplyDelete
  2. OMG...I will be making these for sure! My family will go crazy.

    Thanks for sharing.

    Happy Tuesday!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You crack me up!! I want to make these. Yum. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. LMAO...how funny the button is at the bottom! Bwahahahaha...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yummmm the cookies sound absolutely delicious. im going to try baking them.
    x

    ReplyDelete