At this lunch we were given some suggestions about affirming our sons (his new school is all boys) I just had to share because this really touched me, and I think this is so so very important for sons and daughters. Even if your child is not close to being a teenager I hope this stays with you, because time is fleeting.
1. Ask his advice, this is very affirming to teenage men.
2. Say "thank you", "I appreciate that" or "that was kind of you" He may not respond or may reject this compliment but say it anyway.
3. If someone else says something positive about your son, repeat it to him. This is second hand affirmation, he may not react much but he is hearing it.
4. All teenage boys want to be funny. A sign of a good mother-son relationship is a boy who can make his mother laugh. Find ways to laugh with your son.
5. Affirmation notes- put up work you son did on the fridge to show it off. Younger children like this. Older boys act like it is stupid, do it anyway.
6. Hugs- hug your son. He may not give much in the way of returning the hug, but hug him anyway.
I ended up having a great time and meeting lots of new ladies, I hope this is a sign of good things to come for my son.